Sunday, June 8, 2008

Thrush

Yep, we have it. Ugh.
At first I just thought that she was latched on wrong and that's why my nips were burning while she was eating. But I realized that probably wasn't the problem after getting her to re-latch several times. Then I looked at her tongue and it was white on both sides, so I called her pediatrician to see if they thought she had thrush as well. As soon as I said that my nipples were itching and burning each time she ate, she was like, "Oh yeah, that's thrush for sure."
So she is now taking nystatin FOUR times a day. She actually does pretty well with it, so that makes giving it to her fairly easy. I called my OB as well and they called me in two prescriptions, a nystatin ointment and a pill to take once a day for the next fourteen days. Hopefully that will make it go away!
Otherwise, I've heard on good authority that you can use gentian violet and that will take care of it as well. I may give that a try if it doesn't clear up with all these meds!

2 comments:

Mommyto3K's said...

Brandi,
I know 1st hand how painful thrush can be. Knock on wood I have not gotten it with Kohen, but I did with Kensley and it HURTS!!! I hope it clears up for the both of you soon!!!

Dogeared said...

Ouch! I hope it's sorted soon, for both of you! (and form the other entry - that Max's ear infections are cleared up too!)